Thanksgiving Break

     Thanksgiving break was great. Jamal and I went to his family's house the Sunday before Thanksgiving and celebrated Thanksgiving with his side of the family. The food was really good and Jamal made rolls. He's a roll fanatic. He is very particular with how he wants his rolls to turn out. He was disappointed because felt they weren't perfect. Despite my best attempts to make him feel better about the situation, he still thought they were awful. (Everyone loved them).
     On Thanksgiving day, Jamal and I went to my aunt's house. On the way, we listened to the Josh Groban song, "Thankful" It's a great song for this season. We reflected on all the things we were thankful for this season; for our jobs, being together, our families, and time to spend with others.
         

   
   When we got to my aunt's house, I got to help my aunt prepare the food for Thanksgiving, and Jamal helped by keeping the kids out of the kitchen. It was really fun to talk with my aunt and uncle in the kitchen while we cooked. They're both teachers, so we enjoy our "shop talk" together. They always have good ideas for me.
 
   Later in the afternoon, Jamal had to work and so I continued to spend time with my aunt and her family. We watched movies, ate, and ate some more. I guess that's what Thanksgiving is all about.

A couple of days later, Jamal and I went to go see the movie Frozen. For those of you who haven't seen it, you need to see it.

   As a quick synopsis, it's about two sisters. One has magical powers where everything she touches turns to ice. Her parents (the king and queen) don't want anyone to find out about it, so they hide their daughter away. The two sisters grow apart and this movie is about how they grow back together. In addition to this story line, there is a love story, and a hilarious reindeer and snowman that keep you laughing the entire time. It's a movie for both kids and adults. If you liked Tangled, you'll like Frozen too.

  It's hard to believe Christmas is only a couple of weeks away. In two weeks,  it will be our 6th month anniversary. It's amazing to think how time has just flown by. Today in church, the teacher asked us to make a list of 5 things that we want to do in the future. It was interesting to reflect on what we want our goals to be. One of Jamal's top goals was to finish school and to own our own home some day. Jamal wants to become a therapist because he enjoys helping people feel better about themselves and about their lives. I teach because I like helping kids feel successful and valued. Anytime I get overwhelmed with teaching, I remember this. Teaching, not in it for the income, in it for the outcome.


Comments

  1. So nice that you have extended family nearby. I always wished we did in our early years of marriage and still do now! It sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving. Thanks for the review of "Frozen" - it sounds like one my kids would enjoy. What are your plans for Christmas?

    Have a great week! I love your blog posts!

    Love, Aunt Judi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for always commenting on our blog. It's nice to hear from you. I definitely think your kids would like Frozen. For Christmas, we are staying here in Utah just having our first Christmas together. Jamal has to work in the afternoon so we'll spend the morning together and then I'll go to my aunts for the afternoon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All About Quiet Books

Feeding Ducks

Tis the Season!