All About Quiet Books

    I know this adorable almost two year old. He's a curious little guy who loves toy cars, his brother, and learning new words. I've enjoyed getting to know him over the past year. A month ago, I realized this little boy's birthday was coming up and decided to make him something. I had seen some ideas for quiet books at the Orem Summerfest and decided I would try to make my own. I have always loved crafting. Over the years, I have sewn two quilts, pajama pants, pillows, and a few other random things. I scrapbook sometimes too. Thanks to Pinterest, I found some amazing pictures and ideas to make a cute quiet book for the little guy. Here's some pictures.

Front Cover- weave pattern

Road Page
(for the original idea and template, click here)
(Note: To make the toy car stay in the pocket better, I would put it so the car is sitting in it vertically instead of horizontally. )

Farm Page 
The barn opens up to show animal finger puppets inside.
(for the original idea and template, click here

finger puppets for the farm


Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head Page
(for the original idea and template, click here

one way Mr. Potato Head could look, with lots of other pieces

Beach Page
(for where I found my inspiration, click here)
Note: All pieces are hand drawn. 

what the castle looks like when it's put together 


Insect Page
(for where I got my inspiration from and the template for the bugs, click here)
Note: Tree and jar are both hand drawn. 


Tool Matching Page
(for the template for the tools, click here)



Train Counting and Light Page
(for the light page, click here - Note: I did not use the template. It was too small)
(for my inspiration for the counting page, click here- Note: All of this page was hand drawn)

Back Cover - weaving page

Thanks to All the Quiet Things ,  Baby Abilities Blogspot, The Quiet Book ,  and Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows. These blogs have AMAZING ideas for quiet books.

Things I Have Learned:


1) You don't have to be able to sew to make a quiet book. The only thing I sewed on my quiet book was the jar page. Everything else is put together by glue.

2) The best glue for felt is "Felt Glue". Funny right? I didn't even know that existed. You can find it at Hobby Lobby for about $5 a bottle. To order it, click here.

3) You don't have to velcro everything in quiet book pages. Felt sticks really well to felt so I didn't use a lot of velcro. The only pages with velcro are the train and traffic light.

4) The absolute BEST way to bind your quiet book is grommets. Originally, I had planned on gluing the pages, or sewing button holes and then tying it, but those options were very time consuming. Then, someone suggested grommets. You can get a grommet kit for about $8 at home depot here. I recommend using the 3/8 size hole. For eight pages, I needed two extra refill kits which can also be found at home depot. For a video on how to insert the grommets, click here. After putting in the grommets, I ordered 3 inch rings from amazon and inserted them to bind the book together. I also tied a ribbon through both the front and back page grommets to hold it even better together.

5) Making a quiet book is very time consuming, but the happiness and excitement on the child's face when they receive it is totally worth the wait. 








Comments

  1. That is really cute. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one lucky two year old who is the recipient of such a cute book! After all that work I bet you wanted to keep it for your own kids some day! I just told Camille I want her to make one for Zeddie for one of her personal progress goals! :)

    Aunt Judi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told, I actually made a second one at the same time for my children some day. It was pretty easy to do two at a time, and I wanted to keep one for me. I like the idea of using it for personal progress. I am serving in YW's and they would like the leaders to do personal progress too. While I was making it, I was thinking about how it could be one of those 10 hour projects (except it's more like a 1 month all day project ). When I was Camille's age, I made a baby quilt for one of my projects. That was also a very long one, but it's now nice to have a couple things that I will have for my own children some day. By the way, Elliott showed me lots of cute videos of Zeddie from the family reunion. He has gotten so big and is so adorable! I loved how when Elliott would say "Hi Zeddie" he would pat himself and say "Bubby!"

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feeding Ducks

Tis the Season!