Giving Thanks

         This time of year, I think that everyone's thoughts turn to being thankful. As a child, my family always had a tradition (and it's still continued at home), where we would write 1 thing we were thankful for on a paper feather each night and paste it up on a laminated picture of a turkey on the fridge. As our family grew, it was fun to see the brightly colored turkey covered in feathers of all shapes and sizes, and reading all the different things each person in our family was thankful for.

Our fridge always ended up looking something like this. 

        Even though I'm not home this year, my mom has still continued the tradition. She asked Jamal and I to email her a list of all the things we were thankful for, and then she posted them on the fridge. It's neat to think that we're there in spirit even if we can't be there physically.
        Tomorrow I am going to have my students make a thankful turkey. As I toyed over all the different activities I could do, I thought about treats we could make, lessons we could learn about pilgrims and indians, and things that would be meaningful. I decided making a thankful turkey might be the most meaningful because it will force my students to consider what they have and what they are grateful for.

I know it's a little young, but can you ever be too old to be grateful?

       I want to make a list too. There are many things Jamal and I are grateful for this holiday season.
We are thankful for:

time we have together/ adventures

jobs that provide us with a stable income

the many people that helped us with our wedding this summer/ supported us

loving families

a warm roof over our head

hot water

family gatherings

Mark and his service

modern technology where we can stay in contact with family far away

Toby

great friends who we enjoy spending time with

good health

nature

laughter

love


Our list could go on and on. What are you thankful for? 



Comments

  1. We do a thankful tree. :)

    I am thankful for YOU! and all of our FAMILY!

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Katelynn!

    Love you, Aunt Judi :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All About Quiet Books

Feeding Ducks

Tis the Season!