Trials

        I recently got a new calling at church. I am now working in Young Womens (an organization in our church for teenage girls). I am working with 12 years olds which is kind of funny because they are in 6th grade, and I teach 6th.
       As I have reflected over the past few weeks about my new calling, a lot of feelings have surfaced. One is a feeling of inadequacy. It's only been 5 years since I have been in young womens myself, and I am not sure what I can teach these girls. The other feeling has been one of gratitude. I have been thinking about all the leaders I had growing up and their influence on me. A few come especially to mind because of the love I felt from them. They made me feel special and valued in a time I was unsure of myself. I'm grateful for what they did for me and I hope someday I will be like them.
         I have also been thinking a lot about trials and ones I have experienced. I've also been reflecting on trials and hardships our world has experienced, like September 11th, the Holocaust, genocides, wars, and every other horrible thing that has happened. These were all caused by someone's choices, but they affected a great number of people.
      Amidst all these trials, what can we do? I find a lot of strength from Joseph Smith and his strength through adversity. When he prayed, he received this answer, "My son, peace be unto thy soul. Thy adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment, and then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high." This quote is a great reminder that even though what we are going through might seem like it will never end, in the long run, it will seem small and if we endure, we will be blessed.              The temple is another place I go to to find peace. When I walk through those doors, I feel my burdens being lifted and a great feeling of peace wash over me. It is in those moments that I know that Heavenly Father is aware of me and what I am going through, and things will be alright.
     Nephi is also another great example. When his brothers tied him up and planned his death, he prayed and asked for help. Interestingly, he didn't pray that his circumstances be changed, he prayed that he would have the strength to get through them. I think that's a lesson I can definitely learn from him. I sometimes have a hard time accepting Heavenly Father's will.
    I learned the importance of this through an experience I had in high school. I was a senior and my dad got a new job. He moved and lived in another state while we stayed behind trying to sell our house. I knew that at any time, we could sell our house and I could have to move. I didn't want to move in the middle of my senior year. I prayed and prayed that we wouldn't sell our house so we wouldn't move. At one point, my mom pulled me aside and told me that things would work out how Heavenly Father wanted and told me that I needed to pray that I would be able to accept his will. I remember kneeling at my bed, sobbing, as frustrating tears rolled down my face. I finally gave in, and I remember thinking, "Okay God, I'll accept it. Whatever happens, I will accept that it is the best." As the year progressed, I still feared moving, but I felt peace in knowing things would work out no matter what. Funny enough, we got the call on the day I graduated from high school that our house had sold. I know that Heavenly Father knows what we are going through and is aware of our struggles. He is there for us, in any trial or situation, if we have faith in him.

   These are some people who are incredible examples of faith amidst trials. They give me inspiration when I am having a hard time.


I know that "if we have faith in Jesus Christ, the easiest and even hardest of times can be a blessing." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All About Quiet Books

Feeding Ducks

Tis the Season!