Another Quick Word on Kindness...

    A couple of weeks ago, I made a post about kindness. I talked about a lesson I was going to teach my kids about why we should be kind and how our words can change the world. To read more of that post, click here.
    As part of the lesson, I talked about this phrase.

I gave my students the challenge to think about the effect of their words for a full week. I put a giant piece of paper on my door that read, "My words healed today when..." I asked my students to write when their words healed someone, or when someone else's words healed them. It took a while for the first courageous soul to write, but it has been amazing watching them as they write. Multiple comments are put up each day. Phrases are written such as, "Tony told me good job when I struck out at recess." "Joe cheered me on when I was the last one running the mile." "I helped someone feel better when they were sad." I have been so impressed by the effect of their words on the students themselves and on me. They're not the only ones learning about kindness. I am too. It has been incredible to see the change in our classroom in just the past week. Somehow we are glued one again together as a team, united in a common desire to help one another. What a positive change it has been from the unkind feelings just a week ago. 

As I was browsing this evening, I saw the phrase, "Are you a builder or bulldozer?" What a powerful image this brings to mind. Our words can build someone up or can easily break someone down. I made this poster to hang in my classroom. (Note: If you'd like a copy, just let me know and I can email you the real file.) I hope that it can be yet again another reminder of why we should be kind. 


In closing, I'd like to leave this quote that I love. 

"You can change the world by changing your words."




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All About Quiet Books

Feeding Ducks

Tis the Season!