Kindness

     This week I've been thinking a lot about kindness. As I've watched my students interact and as I have paid attention to the YW, I have been thinking about what it means to be kind. The dictionary defines kindness as "the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate." It sounds so simple, doesn't it? How many times as leaders, adults, teachers, friends, do we say to other people or kids, "Just be nice", "Be kind" as if kids really understand what that means.
     Kindness encompasses a lot of qualities. It means being nice to someone no matter what they say or do to you. It means, treating others like you want to be treated. Kindness is being respectful even when you don't agree with someone's opinion or what they are asking you to do. It's categorized by speaking kind words about someone, even when people tell you rumors. Kindness is not talking behind others backs about someone, even when what you're saying might be true. Being a good sport is kindness. Saying, "it's okay! You'll get it next time!" when someone misses the kickball for the 4th time is kindness.
     As I've reflected on this lesson the past couple of days, I've thought a lot about how I can remind my students once again what it means to be kind. This is made me really self-assess on my level of kindness toward others. Do I follow what I teach? Am I a good example of being kind regardless of the situation? I think that's something only I can answer, but it's definitely something I can work on.
     I've decided that I'm going to have my students (and I'll do it too) reflect on Friday about the words they have used this week. Have their words hurt someone, even accidently? Or have their words made someone feel better or happier?
     After we write, we're going to blow up a balloon and each student is going to write something on it that they are struggling with or has affected them, whether it be drama, gossip, rumors, unkind words..etc. They are going to discuss with the people around them one thing they can do today to help themselves be better and fix the situation. Then, they are going to share with the class.

     As the student shares what they are going to do, for example "I'm going to stop talking about people behind their backs", they will release the balloon as a sign that the problem is being blown away and is gone, and that we will not have to deal with it again.


     After, I'm going to have them think about this one question and respond. Words can hurt or heal. What did yours do today? We are going to make a poster where students can write ways in which their words healed or ways in which they saw other students' words heal.
     I, with my students, am going to make a conscious effort to make sure my words heal this next week. I know sometimes that my words may hurt, even if I didn't mean it. I am going to vow with my students to change too. That's the only way our classroom will get better. We can do it.

So my closing question stays the same for you: 

P.S. Have you seen this video? What was the impact of their words?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All About Quiet Books

Feeding Ducks

Tis the Season!